January 31, 2008

True Life Confessions of a 2 Dress Bride

I have a confession to make.

I have two wedding dresses.

I didn't plan it that way (who does), but in the excitement of the engagement, and my ennui after moving to Winnipeg (for Mr. Shortcake's Masters), I ordered a dress online without trying it - OR OTHERS - on. Yeah, I SO don't recommend that. When it came in, it was very nice, everyone else loved it, but I did not. There was no "wow," no moment that spoke to me in sweet dulcet tones. Not even a single whisper, and so on to ebay it went, and off to the bridal shops went I.


Winnipeg, being a smaller city, doesn't have much to offer in terms of numbers of shops, but I was pleasantly surprised/blown away by the excellent service and range of designers provided by Stella's Bridal Galleria. (http://www.stellasbridal.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24_22&sort=3a&page=3) All the assistants were uber-thoughtful and helpful, and one in particular, Kelly (woot! shout out to Kelly!) was amazing - I couldn't have hoped for better service.



So after my friend dragged me, salivating, away from the rainbow hued prom dresses (I STILL want to go - I've seriously had post-prom-syndrome for 7 years, it's awful)...anyway, after I left Crayola-city, we made a bee-line for




put together a rack for my rack (get it? boobies! that's for you pengy-lovah)




and then spent almost four hours trying on dresses. Sweet heaven in fabric form! I was MADE for bridal dress shopping.


Take a gander at this train. If the dress weren't a mermaid style, and I didn't grow me some birthin' hips, I would be ALL over this.
Now, Mr. Shortcake, I appreciate your ability to keep a secret/keep a surprise/not look at my laptop when I leave pictures of my dress on it so I'm going to trust you not to proceed.
-
-
-
-
-
-
--
Seriously.
-
-
-
-
-
-Not a step further, or Harvey's sleeping in your spot tonight and you can sleep in the crate!
-
-
--
-
-
--

Because of my afore-mentioned baby-makin' body, I quickly discovered that mermaid/trumpet styles were a no-go, as well as sheaths and empire waisted gowns. In addition, anything with straps, or sleeves made my broad shoulders look like a linebacker's. Fortunately, it turns out I can rock the strapless A-line ballgown - good, because it's a vintage silhouette. However, having a VINTAGE style dress was quickly a non-option because tulle/lace + me = yucky yucky.
So, here were the top contenders:

OPTION # 3: (forgot to get style name, whoops)



This dress had some serious bling-age, as did all of my favorite choices. Afterall, sparkle is one of my wedding colours. However, the skirt was plain, the train was plain, and the fabric was "meh."

OPTION # 2: Jasmine Haute Couture T935



This dress would have been a definite yes, if only it didn't have those two darn random pickups on either side of the skirt, like giant thigh dimples. Other than that, I hearted this dress big-time. (Am I even speaking English anymore? Dresses do that to me)
drumroll please.....
-
-
-
-
-
-

OPTION# 1: Jasmine Haute Couture t944 - 'THE ONE'

My Dress SPECS:
Style # Jasmine haute couture T944
Catalogue Color : Ivory
Silhouette : A-line
Fabric-top layer : Couture silk-satin and satin faced organza
Front Neckline : Strapless sweetheart
Front Bodice, Back Bodice, Basque Waist Detail : Robison-Anton platinum embroidery and Swarovski crystal beading
Front/Back Skirt Detail : Robison-Anton platinum embroidery and Swarovski crystal beading, Satin faced organza inset features at back with scalloped edge



BLING RATIO: more than a lot, less than too much. This baby SPARKLES like swarovski's momma.


Check it -the back of this gown is KILLER:






So, I found my dream dress, and it spoke to me loudly. So loudly in fact, that the first time I tried it on and saw myself in the wall of mirrors I yelled, "woooaah! Everybody, look at me!" Which they did. whoops. (thinking before speaking = not strong suit)



How did you know your dress was the one?
















No comments: