February 25, 2008

Choose Miss Shortcake's Cake!

Everyone who knows about Ann Woods, loves Ann Woods. I am no exception (Exhibit A: giant sign on my lawn reading "I HEART A.W."), and was thrilled/intoxicated/falling-down-drunk-and-giggling-hysterically-punch-drunk in love with these caketoppers:




However, my mother objected to the A.W. caketopper on three counts:

1) They were dangerously nearing the cost of a whole cake
2) They didn't make any sense to her :"Birds? Who puts birds on a cake?"

and after explaining that quite a few people put birds on cakes (ie, Miss Penguin, Miss Canary, Miss Gummibear, etc) she was mollified but still insisted

3) that my crafting genes were better employed making a caketopper myself


So off I went, collecting fabric and bits and bobs and cutting out prototypes, when I realized that EVERYONE puts birds on wedding cakes now (exaggerating, I know) and I didn't need to copy EVERYONE, now did I?

So instead, I decided to make deer.

They'll be very similar to the following caketopper, but instead of being "glam" I'll craft them to be more vintage-kitchy-cute.




The cake itself will be put on some sort of pink vintage cake stand, either in ceramic or glass. I also love me some hob-nail, but the display ultimately depends on the design of the cake itself.









This is where you come in, darling reader - we need to finalize our cake design in order to receive accurate baker quotes!

THE INSPIRATION












THE FINALISTS:

Mr. Beefcake and I have weeded through all of the cakes on the previous inspiration boards, and have narrowed it down to the following four options.Please remember that our deer will be on top of the cake, so the final design has to "jive" with that venison vibe.

CONTESTANT A:


(from flickr user becheery)

* without top bows

CONTESTANT B:


(from flickr user pinkcakebox)


CONTESTANT C:

(from flickr user becheery)

*without monogram topper

CONTESTANT D:


(from martha stewart)

*in pale pink fondant


Which one do you prefer? A, B, C, or D?

No comments: