July 16, 2008

Shortie's Hair Saga (Cont'd)

I wasn't asking for much, really. I brought her oodles of pictures...

(Collage made by me, images sources here)

...and yet this is all that the overpriced stylist was able to give me:

Remember her? The one who said that because my hair was "too thick" and because I "had a hairline," she was unable to give me any volume like I had requested, and would not be "able to do a nice updo." These are direct quotes!

Well, $75 drain-dollars later, I asked Youngest Sister Shortcake (YSS) if she could try to do my hair at home. I had narrowed down my desired look to the hairdo pictured in this vintage magazine advertisement:

(from user Charm and Poise on Flickr.com)

Which coincidentally is almost identical to Jessica's hair on the "Martha Stewart Throws a Today Wedding" series:

(See more images and videos from this beautiful wedding here)

YSS did an amazing job on my hair, despite her lack of proper hair tools and products (she'll be getting them from the salon where she works), and despite her lack of formal training.

With every trial that we did, she improved ten-fold, and with additional practice on the hair dummies at work and on Sister Shortcake (whose hair is thicker than a bison's), I have full confidence that when I return to BC in September her skills will be riding quite happily on the plains of Fabulous.

Unfortunately for me (and you), my laptop built up static to such a degree that it short-circuited and destroyed itself this month, leaving me with nought but frustration. I lost most of my photos from my trip to Vancouver, excepting the few that follow, which unfortunately are from my very first hair trials with my sister , and not from the final (better) ones.

FIRST HAIRL TRIAL WITH YSS: SIDE VIEW

FIRST HAIRL TRIAL WITH YSS: SIDE VIEW

THIRD HAIRL TRIAL WITH YSS: BACK VIEW

Look at the improvement in the curls between the first trial and third!

I'm so frustrated that I have no photos to show of my later trials with my sister. However, I will be having quite a few more trials with her when we go back to BC for the wedding, so this photo-saga isn't quite over yet. :)

Did anyone else do their hair at home?

No comments: