January 2, 2008

Location, Location, Location

 


( PHOTO BY PABLO TREJO )


How do I love thee, Vancouver?


Let me count the ways


I love thee for thy rainy skies


thy clouds perpetually gray 


I love thee for thy dark green sea


that smells of salt and tar


I love thee better every day


 though I love but from afar.






We're getting married in "Metro" Vancouver, as the cities surrounding the big V are now known. Originally, the plan was to get married in Vancouver proper, where both Mr. Shortcake and I went to university, and lived for many years.

 


It was a good plan. We were going to have the ceremony at Ryerson United church, which was the church near my basement suite during school. My sister and I would watch from our basement window and sigh over the gorgeous brides getting married there, so when Ryerson was suggested as an option for my wedding, I jumped at the chance.


  


( PHOTO BY BLUE OLIVE PHOTOGRAPHY )







 


We were hoping to hold the reception at the UBC Golf Club, another sentimental choice, as we would then be celebrating on the campus where we met.


 


 


 However, the wedding coordinator there took an instant dislike to my mother and I at our first -and last meeting -(this after cordial emails preceeding it), and even went to far as to, when I asked a completely unrelated question, respond with "well, I won't be upset if you guys decide to go with another venue." Huh? How rude!


So, we immediately began looking at other options. Our favorite was Swan-e-set Golf and Country Club in Maple Ridge.








I can't say enough good things about Swan-e-set and the wedding coordinator there, so I'll summarize: PERFECT. Unfortunately, Maple Ridge is over an hour from Ryerson United (which is in the Kerrisdale neighbourhood of Vancouver), so despite my tears and protestations of it's perfectness, the Swan got shot down by both sets of parents.




Eventually too, did Ryerson. That was the first disagreement among the parties involved. I wanted a Vancouver proper wedding, but our parents (who live in Langley and Whiterock) convinced us that half an hour would be too far and too long for guests to drive. 






Have your parents or in-laws overridden any of your wedding decisions and plans?

 




1 comment:

Dawn said...

That and Swan-e-Set is RIDICULOUSLY expensive in my opinion, but if your parents were willing to pay for it then WAHOO!!! I wanted to initially get married in Agassiz at the Fraser River Lodge but that was wayyyy out of our price range and if we wanted to afford it in the least bit we'd have to narrow the wedding to 50 people. Not happenin'...though my family loved it and actually distance from our families wasn't an issue.

I think distance will be an issue for someone in the end. Rob's parents live up in Quesnel and family in Prince George. I have family in the lower mainland but many guests are coming from across Canada and some of Rob's family lives in Virginia. I ended up with Whonnock more for the balance in scenery and cost. It's also a close proximity to 'most' guests.

In the end though I think you went with a good location. Fort Langley was beautiful for your photos, even if it did rain. And the church was quaint which was nice. I wanted initially to have the ceremony in a little Anglican church in Whonnock (Ruskin) as well, but neither Rob nor his family are religious and thought it might be uncomfortable for them.

Ack--my issue right now is who to invite or not invite--that is the question. My sister already got married and set precedent as to which family members on my side I must invite. I feel if I didn't invite a family member she did, they'd feel snubbed. My parents are paying for the reception so maybe I will make the list of who I want up, and then if I'm missing people they want, then I will say "well, if you're paying for it, then they can come but I'm telling you an additional 6 people will tack on like $500"