February 18, 2008

I Miss My Mommy

 


There are certain things you think about when you have the flu. Things like,


"omg, I am going to die, seriously, I am going to die, why am I not dead yet? Somebody, please shoot me, because I am going to die"


and


"my bed hurts too much, so I am going to sleep on the cold, hard tile because that will be more comfortable"


but mostly,


"I miss my mommy"


But do you know what the funny thing is?
That's one of the things I think about the most during my wedding planning, everyday since I left my family in Vancouver and moved out to Winnipeg for Mr. Shortcake's Masters degree.


They say planning a destination wedding is difficult. I would like to correct 'them' (whomever "they" may be), and note that planning a wedding long-distance is HARD. But it's not the constant emailing, and it's not the fact that I have to book vendors, sight/product unseen. It's the fact that I don't get to do these things in person, with the people I love the most.


It's emotionally very hard to plan your wedding alone - to shop for and pick out your wedding dress alone. Although the phone and email help, they really can't take the place of an excited sibling trying on ugly bridesmaid dresses for you, or a mother wiping away tears that's she's pretending not to have as you step out in "THE" dress.


It's not the same. And visiting once or twice for a couple of days each before the wedding doesn't make up for anything.


And so, as I crawl back into and burrow beneath my covers, I would like to note that,


I miss you, Mommy.


 


No comments: