February 6, 2008

a shortcake DIY: Bead- DAZZLING!

Because there is seriously nothing to do in Winnipeg in the winter (FYI I'm out here till 2009 for Mr. Shortcake's masters degree), I have taken to crafting. A LOT. I've always been addicted to my glue-gun, but now that I have a wedding to plan for, it's becoming necessary to branch out into new creative fields.


For example, the last time I went to Oahu, I bought my bridesmaids each these lovely freshwater pearl necklaces, to go with whatever dress I eventually picked out.



 


However, I neglected to pick up any matching earrings, figuring that it would be easy to match their colour and irregularity cheaply back on the mainland. Nope.


Enter...my $10 "Dream" beading kit from Walmart!


  



With this kit, I was able to make matching earrings for all of my bridesmaids - and for less than $5 each pair!


 


 


 



 FRESH-WATER PEARL DROP EARRINGS


 





 



  • tiger tail jewellry wire

  • fresh water pearls (or stones/jems of your choice)

  • fish-hook earring backs

  • crimps

  • round-nose pliers

  • wire-cutters


 


 


 


1. Collect the beads/semi-precious stones/pearls that you would like to use. You can get these at the big Walmart, or Michael's, or even online for rarer or bulk items. You will also need fish-hook earring backs, "crimps" (small metal spacer beads you press), and jewellry wire.


 


 


2. Assemble your instruments. Round-nosed pliers? Wire cutters? Check!


 


3. Determine how long you would like your earrings to be - double that, and cut with a pair of heavy duty wire cutters. The wire I used was "tiger tail jewellry wire" - very soft and fine, but incredibly strong.


 


4. Pass the wire through the loop at the end of a fish hook earring back. Make sure the loop is completely closed, use your round nose pliers to make this loop tighter, if necessary. Ensure that the wire is folded exactly in half, bend and press firmly with your pliers so that the wire retains that shape.


5. Pull a "crimp" up over the two ends of the wire, all the way up to the fish hook loop junction. PRESS the crimp closed with your pliers. This 'squashing' locks it into place.


 


 


6. Pull your first bead/stone/pearl up and over the two ends of the wire. I used a small freshwater pearl.



7. Pull a crimp up and over the two wires, position it just below where you want your bead to rest, and then press/squash it into place.



8. Pull another bead/stone/pearl up and over the two ends of the wire, position as desired, pull a crimp up and over the two ends of wire, and squash into place beneath the bead/stone/pearl.


9. Use your wire cutters to cut off the two wire ends directly beneath the last crimp. If you've "crimped" correctly, it will stay in place, and you have nothing to worry about!



 


10. Repeat steps 1-9 for the other earring. Et Voila! C'est Magnifique!



How cute are these? And, I think, totally wearable again.


 


So, for the crafty at heart, these simple earrings are definitely quick and easy impact pieces. You can change the number/type of beads used, or even make multiple strand earrings by pulling the beads and crimps over only one wire at a time, and leaving the two ends uneven in length. These earring are great as BM gifts, MIL gifts, or even just as a lovely pick-me-up for yourself. I will warn you though - the beading aisle at Michael's can be a dangerous place to go with a paycheck! :)


 


No comments: