April 30, 2008

shortcake inspiration board, take #2 : please pass...the mustard?

Sweetness and light. Cotton candied--confectionary goodness - a wedding so sugary that guests would leave with aching abscesses along with their favors....


My original vision for our 1950s-inspired wedding revolved around pastels. Now, I love pastels as much as, or more than, any retailer of baby goods, and for my wedding it seemed only natural to incorporate my favorited faded shades:


 



 



 silver, petal pink, robin's egg blue, buttercream yellow, mint green, hot pink


It was cute. It was super cute. It was omg-I-can-eat-your-dimples-up-cute, and I loved it...


But that colour scheme was chosen early in my wedding planning, and I have to admit that more than few of my original plans were either altered, or abandoned completely, since our engagement began.


The more research I did into vintage colour schemes, interior design, and fashion trends from the 1950s-1960s, the more I realized that certain elements would need to be adjusted.



May I present the (hopefully final) atomic-age-awesomeness that is my new colour scheme...


 


  



silver, petal pink, ballet pink, mustard yellow/gold, buttercream yellow,"emerald" (vintage name for that colour) green, charcoal gray


 


This new scheme is really quite similar to the old one. Only blue and hot pink have been discarded, and the other colours have been muted and "dustified," as it were. We're going for a more subdued feeling now, still whimsical in many ways (hello, polka dots and pink fluffly bridesmaid dresses!), but more elegant than our wedding's first conception, and much more suited to early autumn.


Mustard yellow/gold is the biggest addition, and surprisingly works as well in weddings as it did in mid-century furniture and carpets. In my wedding, mustard will show its yellow face only in select touches here and there - for example, in the new invitation design my uber-artistic father and I are working on ( stay tuned!)


And just in case your stomach still turns at the thought of mustard yellow ( Mr. Shortcake. for one. was more than skeptical about my new "vision"), here is a better idea of how these colours will interact with each other:



 


So, do you like it? =D


 


IMAGE CREDITS:


Hk Department Store, Ebay; our deer cake topper, my pink polka dot scrapbook paper from K and company; Miss Strawberry's idea of crystals, Martha Stewart cake, my vintage brooch from ebay; cupcake wrapper seen on weddingbee; my colour scheme; patternLauren Davis' wedding; envelopments pocket folder from unrecalled source; vintage bride image from flickr, I think; Citrus Moon graphic wallpaper, Knottie spro, Citrus Moon graphic wallpaper; Martha Stewart; Humphrey Bogart google image; www.vintageous.com dresses


 


No comments: