May 26, 2008

Music for the Big Walk


(image source)


Unlike the uber-hip-and-fabulous Miss Penguin, I'm not so much into Top 40 music. To be honest, I shut my radio off and stopped buying moderns cds six or seven years ago! I listen to jazz, and *weird music* (as my sister, a hip-hop-lovah, likes to call it), but mostly I love to listen to instrumental and classical music.


You'd think it'd be easy to choose the ceremony music - pick some favorites, and be done with it, but not so, unfortunately. All my favorite classical pieces are decidely depressing, or way too crescendo-y.


Moonlight sonata? Let me just adjust my train, sleeping in a coffin totally wrinkled it!
 
1812 OVERTURE? Yeah! We can have cannons go off when the doors open!
 


AND, I really don't want something done to death in the wedding world - which makes choosing a song so much harder.


Could you help me find my processional song, readers? I'm looking for dramatic, but not militaristic, peppy, but not too fast, elegant, beautiful and smooth, but not too slow or boring, and something HAPPY. I haven't found anything yet that really speaks to me, has a crescendo or really moving opening strain, and can be cut down to 60-ish seconds.


 


LIKE BUT NOT LOVE CONTENDERS:


DELIBES - flower duet


MANCINI - Theme from a summer place


JERIMIAH CLARKE: Trumpet voluntary (the Princess Diana wedding processional)


 


NO-GOs FOR ME/INSPIRATION FOR OTHERS:


DEBUSSY - claire de lune


DEBUSSY - reverie


BEETHOVEN - ode to joy


BACH - air on a g string


BACH -pachebel cannon in D


BACH - Jesu, joy of a man's desiring


BACH - Sheep may safely graze


FAURE - pavane


HANDEL - la rejouissance


HANDEL - Arrival of the Queen of Sheba


MOZART - March from the Marriage of Figaro


MOZART - exultate jubilate


MENDELSSOHN - Bridal march


MOURET - rondeau


PURCELL - Trumpet tune


SATIE - gymnopedie


UNKNOWN - prelude to te deum


VIVALDI - any of the four seasons (we're using spring for the recessional)


WAGNER - Bridal chorus


 


Please, please, please, can you suggest some pretty classical or instrumental pieces for my big walk? I have two weeks to decide and try it out in our church!


 



No comments: