June 20, 2008

My wedding make-up trial



Well, I'm back from our only trip to British Columbia before our wedding!


My trip home was fabulous, and I feel ready and raring to tackle the rest of our wedding projects now. Being away and isolated from loved ones for nine months can do bad things to a girl, so I'm surprised and happy to report that I'm happy again. :D


Now, where were we?


 Ah yes, my makeup trial.  If you remember, I originally had a makeup artist booked to come do a trial at my house. Unfortunately, her travelling expenses were *coughridiculouscough* above what I was willing to pay, so my sisters and I began to look at alternatives.




One such local option was getting mine and their makeup done at a M.A.C. boutique. The nearest M.A.C. was 20 minutes away (in heavy traffic), well within my travelling comfort range (I had planned to commute an hours both ways on the wedding morning to have my hair done with my AWOL old stylist).  If you want to get your wedding makeup done by a M.A.C. artist, you have two options in my area (I don't know about eastern or American M.A.C.s):


1) Pay for your trial in purchased products, and have your makeup done by a M.A.C. artist while she is available on the floor. If it gets busy in the boutique, she will have to leave you and attend to other customers.


2)Pay $55 for a private room makeup application. You pay the $55 as a fee, not as products, but you do get a complimentary mascara.


 


For my makeup trial, I opted for #1, as I had a lot of time, and needed new makeup products. For my wedding day, I've opted for # 2, and have booked rooms for the interested bridesmaids as well. If you are considering using M.A.C. for your wedding day like me and Mrs. Lemon, I highly recommend doing option #2, as weekend (wedding days) are usually the busiest days for business!


I was very impressed with my makeup artist, Olga - as a 9-years-and-counting-veteran, not only did she know what she was doing, but she was more than happy to educate me.


 


COOL TIP FROM OLGA: Use a small, soft eyeshadow brush to gently apply undereye concealer - this lessens the risk of damaging the delicate skin with your finger's tugging or patting motion!


 


COOL TIP FROM MY MOM: Use a teaspoon to curl your eyelashes! After placing the concave side of the spoon against and underneath your upper eyelashes, use your thumb to "flick* the spoon out and upward. Position your thumb on the inside of the spoon, on top of your upper lashes, and remember to apply only gentle pressure on your lashes against the spoon - don't pinch!


For my wedding face I asked for something similar to my everyday makeup (which revolves around a warm palette of neutrals), but fancier (obviously), and something that emphasized my eyes.


 


NOTE: Don't be afraid to voice your opinion during your trial! I wasn't comfortable with the sheerness of the first foundation we tried, as I tend to have uneven skin coloration, so Olga redid my ENTIRE face just so I could try it again with the Studio FX liquid foundation (liquid gold, in my opinion, it stayed on and stayed put all day and night!)


 


 


MY FACE CHART:


 


As Mrs Penguin noted before, in order for your makeup to actually show up in pi cures, it needs to be heavier than usual. Knowing this before hand was crucial, as my makeup was significantly heavier than a normal person would wear.  However, I won't be a 'normal person' on my wedding day -I'll be a bride - and I'll get to look like this in photos:



 



 


Can I have a woot, woot? I am SO pleased with the results!  On the day of, I might also be wearing false lashes, which is great as long as they don't spider-crawl their way down my cheek during vows! :D


Where are you getting/did you get your makeup done?



No comments: