April 1, 2008

Jack Pot! The Bridesmaid Dress Search Ends!



Last week, for ten blissfully "back to normal" days, my younger sister/best friend/ MOH visited Mr. Shortcake and I in Winnipeg (a.ka. Not My Home). It was so lovely to have her visit, not only because my homesickness temporarily abated somewhat, but because I finally had someone with whom I could to "do wedding-y stuff."



(Sister Shortcake)


One such item on our to-do list was to end the seemingly-unending search for the bridesmaids' dresses. Sister Shortcake and I visited Stella's Bridal Galleria (where I ordered my gown), because it really is the best (if not only) place in the prairies to find a large and decent selection of bridesmaid attire.


Without further ado, the results of our search:


 


THE DEFINITELY NOTS:



The dress on the left is a Watters gown that came up too high and shortened Sister Shortcake's torso. The B2 gown on the right was similarly unflattering, and gave the impression of a thick mid-section on my gorgeous little sister. No thank you!


 





I don't remember who made this dress, but I did remember the style name:


"MC Hammer's Formal Jumpsuit, Brooch Optional"


THE MAYBES:




 


We loved the crumb-catcher bodice on this Watters gown, but feared the taffeta and ruching might look a little dated in the wedding pictures.



 


This B2 gown was a definite contender - sweetheart necklines make our hearts thump - but the fabric overlay was too shiny next to my wedding gown, and just didn't "go."



Another B2 possibility. Halter necks are so flattering on bigger busts, but we wanted something strapless to echo my gown's neckline.


 
I think this one was a Belsoie dress. Beautiful ice blue colour, lovely draping, certain bust-enhancing qualities - lovely dress overall, but again, failed to jive with the wedding dress.



THE DRESS:




We finally found it - Alfred Angelo D326 in organdy! It has the retro silhouette we were looking so hard for, with light boning for support, and built in-petticoats! We'll be altering it to have a sweetheart neckline as well.



Unfortunately, it didn't come in that medium pink we were counting on. Several swatch discussions later, we decided on Sung's 'ice pink,' which will look like this next to my dress:



(sister shortcake wearing an ice pink prom dress for comparison)


But will look more like this in application:



(Fong Wedding from Aria bridesmaids)


The best part? Because it's an older season's style, the dress was half off - and because I already ordered my gown from the Galleria, I got an additional discount. So, our lovely $300 Alfred Sung dresses became....


*drumroll please*


ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY TWO DOLLARS!


If that doesn't deserve a WOOT WOOT, I don't know what does! =D



No comments: