June 12, 2008

A Hair-Don't for Shortcake

When my hair stylist and "friend" of five years double -booked my wedding day (with a more lucrative wedding offer several hundred miles away, no less), I was crushed. It felt like a slap in the face, especially because he told me only a couple of days before my only trip to Vancouver.



"I do value your patronage, that's why I decided to tell you."



....because the other option was not telling me??



Thanks a lot, dude.



Because this was the only trip we would be taking before the wedding, it left me crying with stress and scrambling to find a replacement hairdresser that was available not only for a trial on short notice, but was also available to do 6+ updos on the morning of the wedding.



My mother booked a trial with a salon and spa near her house, and armed with the following images and a faint hope that everything would be alright, I set off this morning.




(miscellaneous images from knotties kayrose and others, weddingbee, dancing with the stars)



I thought I knew what I wanted: an updo, with a side part and 'sweep,' volume on top, maybe a chignon, maybe a higher updo. Something pretty, elegant, vintage-inspired, and above all, something that flattered my features.



Like many people, I am very insecure about my looks. Mr. Shortcake can tell me I'm beautiful a million times over, but if I'm having a fugly-feeling day, ain't nothin' gonna help. :(



Unfortunately, today was a fugly day. To me, my teeth looked like horse teeth, my nose was too big, my eyes uneven, my chin weak...I could go on and on. Armed with an arsenal of insults aimed at myself, it was no wonder that I was unimpressed and depressed with my hair trial. However, my mother (who thinks I'm pretty good-looking), made a disgusted face when I walked in the door.

"How much did you pay for that? I could do that myself, for free!"

...and I paid more for the trial at this spa then I would have for the trial and hair combined at my ex-stylist's salon!





Ignoring that my hair is largely the same texture as the fuzzy, un-ironed mess that I came with(hair product? What's that?) , I think the back of the hair is quite pretty. Harder to ignore is the fact that the curls began falling out less than an hour after the trial...



...and even harder to ignore is the fact that the front is exactly the same as how I wear my hair EVERYDAY:


The hair is nice, but the overall feeling (despite my Miss Congeniality smile) I had and have about this hair-don't is

"meh."




Here's the side view. Um, where is the volume I asked for? The hairdresser explained that because my hair was thick, she couldn't do as nice as an up-do as she wanted....ummm....

And the side-sweep? I couldn't have one, she said, because of my "hairline." Yes, I have a hairline, this makes me different from...whom, exactly?

The front is just SO boring to me - and with my (short, reception) drop veil on, the only cool part of this up-do is covered, so it looks like I'm wearing a bun.



I'm just so disappointed. I didn't expect to pay a hefty chunk of change for such unimpressive hair and service - I even had to supply my own hair elastics! It's only been three hours, and it's already all loose....we're thinking of not bothering with trying to find other salons in Langley and just doing my hair at home!

What do you think?

No comments: